Monday, August 1, 2011

Daily 5- Wordstudy

So I am excited to start using the Daily 5 program in my classroom this year. I'm a bit nervous because when I start implementing new things, I worry I'm not doing it the right way or using it to its full potential.
When I was reading the Daily 5 I thought to myself "hey, I kind of already do this with my stations- we listen to reading, we buddy read, we go to reading groups, and we read to ourselves". I thought, "Okay, now lets think about word work and work on writing and include these into our literacy block.

So here I am ... open to your opinions. This was my idea about how I would make a word work run in my classroom this year. Please feel free to let me know what you think.

I plan to have students work independently on word work in a way that will help students study for spelling tests. I work in a very low income community and have always wondered how I could raise students spelling scores. I know that they are not getting enough practice at home (due to lack of home support) and so I figured, I should support them in school and what a great way to do so then in word work.

First I created 6 bags (various colors) as well as bag labels.

In these bags I plan on including various activities in which students can practice their spelling words in fun ways.

Here are some things I've included in these bags:

Rainbow Write- Papers and Markers so that students can write their spelling words in a rainbow pattern (each letter a different color).

Dry Erase Board & Markers- Kids love to write on dry erase boards. I found these erasers at Target for a dollar.

Magnetic Board and Magnetic Letters-

I also made these cute holders for the magnets-





Stencil Writing -




I also plan on having a "Look, say, cover, write, check folder in the bag.
(I'll include a pic later)


I'm just getting started on these bags but would love to hear the opinions of others.

Do you all have any more suggestions? I'd like to fill the bag with lots of things to keep the kiddos entertained.

What do you do for word study?

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried Wikki Stiks? You could use those in a bag with a cheap cookie sheet on which to form the letters. We also use play-doh on cookie sheets. Have you tried sailboats? It's a pyramid...students write the first letter on the first line, the first two letters on the second line, the first three letters on the third line, etc. until they finish. They draw a "sail" around the rows of letters, then cover the sail with their hand and write the word correctly in the "boat." If they don't get it right, they start over. Students could do this on your white boards for extra practice. I agree that they love white boards. This works for comprehension, as well. Students write the sentences one word at a time rather than the word one letter at a time. God bless!

    Melly <><


    Second Grade Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww- Thanks Melly
    I love your sailboat idea. :) Can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also saw on someone's blog that they were making "puddles." She took those glass stones (Dollar Tree variety) and modge-podged letter stickers to the bottom. The students used "letter puddles" to make "word puddles." I think that's the cutest idea and I want to make some when I have time (or a parent volunteer!). :)

    Melly <><

    Second Grade Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd love to see a picture :) That's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! Another idea is to use letter stamps and get stamp pads. They have sets of letter stamps at Michaels for a dollar and pads too! (At least where I live). Its very hands on, and they are able to keep a quick pace with it! Good luck!

    http://californiaenglishteacher.blogspot.com

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete