Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday

So like I said... I'M SORRY I AM BLOGGING TWICE TODAY :)
More on the Blog Hoppin madness

It's only my second year but here is a bit of advice from one newish teacher to her blogging friends...

1.) ASK FOR HELP This is something I really wish I did more of... I'm working on it but it's my number one advice to a newbie. There is absolutely no way you can do it alone your first year. My 2nd grade teamies have all been teaching a long time (one of them has been a teacher for 35years) I would always feel dumb asking and bothering my grade level with questions but when I finally did, the advice... lesson ideas... and even materials just started rolling in. I realized how eager they were to help me out and I even wished I had asked for help sooner!

2.) GO HOME Last year I was staying after until almost 7 or 8pm after school... I just couldn't pull myself away from my classroom. It didn't help that I live an hour away from my job... It was almost as if I had a phobia of leaving it over night. It wasn't until winter when the days grew shorter and it was pitch dark out by the time that I got home when I realized how unfair I was being to myself. -- It's okay to want to stay after to get things situated the first month or two of school, but don't overdo it. Give yourself a time limit and stick to it. Prioritize and be realistic.. Good teacher's don't need to wear their underpants over their pants (like superman) to be great!

3.) MAKE TEACHER FRIENDS- I am going to take my own advice on this one. I stayed in my batcave all last year and didn't venture out. I was always stressing and working in my room. Like I mentioned lots of my neighboring teachers are a lot older than I am and have families to ten to (Lets face it... They have real Lives). This year I plan on making more staff friends and getting involved. Hopefully this year I can create some friendships- you know the ones that aren't just all about school. Dinners, movies, weekend get togethers... do I sound desperate for friends??? Fingers Crossed- but take my advice... it'll be a good thing. 

4.) HAVE FUN Smile as much as possible, love the new experiences... and don't sweat the small stuff. Life goes on and things get better :)

1 comment:

  1. You have some great advice here! My first year I stayed WAY too late all the time...it was crazy! I'm so much better about that now! Nice to meet you through the Blog Hop!

    Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete